There is no magic involved in browsers loading up your web pages. But there are various steps involved. If any of the steps fail or slow-down it could result in a bad experience for your customers who need your content as quickly as possible.
Once users enter your URL in their browser the following steps occur:
- DNS resolution - this involves converting the hostname of the URL to the right "IP Address" (The Internet Address which computers use to connect to your website).
- Handshake / Server Connection - This is the step where the browser connects to the server and asks for the content which the user has requested. In recent times, browsers such as Chrome try to secure connections using TLS / SSL technologies, which is called SSL Handshake.
- Server Response - This is the step where the server searches for the content requested, finds it and starts sending it back to the browser. If necessary compression techniques / caching technique also are involved here.
- Resource Retrieval - This is the step where the browser realizes that there are resources such as CSS / JS / Images which need to be retrieved And performs the above Step 1 thru Step 3 for each of those.
- First Paint - The web page merges all the content retrieved and starts displaying it to the user. If any event handlers are defined for Page Load, those are called.
- Interactiveness - The user is now able to interact with the web page / content.
There could be failure / slowness in any of the above steps. Any such failures will cause a cascading effect and result in your web page appearing faulty or slow to the users.
The WWW (World Wide Web) is a mix of Technologies, Servers, Hardware, Underwater cables. Some of them are old, and some of them are slow. Some of them are prone to failures. And any of those failures could result in failures of your website, resulting in an ughhh! image to your Customers / Potentials.
Technologies used by your User are not uniform and these could result in slowness. Example - Maybe your User is utilizing a 3G internet connection instead of your expectations of a WiFi connection.
UnWrangl.in is a SaaS product which we have worked on to help you monitor and alert Slowness and Failures which would result in slow loading of your pages. This is with bifurcation based on categories of technologies being used by the Users.
UnWrangl.in development is driven by principles of Simplicity, Ease of Integration, and focusses on Security, Privacy and Reliability.
Integration is simple. A code snippet (similar to Google Tag) is provided which needs to be added to the Head Tag of your pages (if you have a layout template which your web pages inherit from, we recommend adding it there). Once deployed, the UnWrangl.in dashboard will start collecting and reporting for your website. Historical Data is available in Graphical and Tabular manner. With the Waterfall reports, more analysis can be performed about the failures.
Are you a WebSite Owner, Maintainer or do you develop Websites? Do you want to ensure that your customers receive the right experience of your website? Then you should be UnWrangl 'ing it. Start UnWrangling
Sign up for your Invite today: https://unwrangl.in/join.html
This article has been reproduced from the original article at https://nuggets.sitegauge.io/you-need-to-unwrangl/
This article is a part of the monthly news letter, which I publish. In case this area interests you do remember to Join like-minded persons by subscribing to this newsletter .